It was a tough start to the offseason last week for Terrence Williams. After standing out as one of the bright spots on the Celtics roster late last season, he was taken into custody last week with the disturbing allegation that he pulled a gun during a domestic dispute with his son’s mother and her boyfriend, all in the presence of their 10-year-old son.
Williams was released on bail last week, and there is an important distinction to note that these allegations are simply that at this point, as no formal charges have been brought against the guard yet in Washington, while authorities investigate the charges.
In the meantime, the C’s backup point guard made his way to Boston this week and spoke to reporters yesterday at the C’s practice facility after a workout. Our friend Chris Forsberg from ESPNBoston.com was on the scene and spoke with Williams as he addressed his arrest.
“We all know there’s two sides to every story,” said Williams. “That’s all I’m going to say about that, I’m not crazy. You guys have been around me for whatever 2 ½ months, I’m not crazy at all.”
Later he added, “Before anything, I’m a father. Before anything, my job is to protect my kid. And to be there… Just dropping my son off, and something turns bad. It doesn’t affect me, because I’m a father at the end of the day — no basketball, no NBA, no nothing. I’m a father. I’m fortunate to be here, to be able to work out, to be able to come to this facility and still be on the team now. I can’t let it affect me because the people that are saying the negative things, they don’t really control my life or my future.”
Williams expressed frustration at being portrayed as the villain despite a lack of charges brought against him to this point.
“It’s very frustrating, because I was there, I know what happened, and I know what didn’t happen,” he said. “To anybody reading, and everybody that’s writing these stories, it makes me out to be this bandit — whatever that guy’s name is in ‘Public Enemies’… John Dillinger. It made me be like I was him. It’s very frustrating, because I know what happened, and what didn’t happen. All you can do is pray and move forward. That’s what I’ve been doing my whole life when something happens.”
Asked if he brandished a gun during the exchange, Williams deferred to police reports, noting, “I think there’s reports out that say what happened, so if you guys want to read that, that’s available to read. Like I said, I didn’t do anything wrong, and I didn’t do what the next person, the next man, would have [done to] protect himself or his family.”
Where does Williams stand as far as his future with the Celtics are concerned? He spoke about that as well, including conversations he’s had with Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge since his arrest.
“We talked about the future, and I was part of that. Everything else, is between us,” said Williams. Asked if that was an encouraging vote of confidence from his employer, Williams added, “Very encouraging. Because everybody writes a million stories that I’m just this horrible person. Whatever, I’ve been used to that my whole life, for 25 years.”
The big date to watch for on Williams is June 30th. That’s when he earns the first of his partial guarantees towards the 2013-14 season. If the Celtics keep him then, there’s a good chance he’ll have the opportunity to earn a roster spot in training camp next October.
For more from Williams you can check out Forsberg’s full story by heading over to ESPNBoston.com.
Latest posts by Brian Robb (see all)
- Ainge: Marcus Smart (Ankle) Day-to-Day, Kelly Olynyk (Shoulder) Out Until At Least Mid-November - October 20, 2016
- Does R.J. Hunter Have Inside Track on Final Celtics Roster Spot? - October 17, 2016
- Danny Ainge: We’re Working to Avoid Cutting Players by Making a Trade - October 17, 2016