I talked with the #1 pick of the 2010 Draft, Washington PG John Wall, prior to the Celtics-Wizards game on Wednesday night. He is currently sitting out with a knee injury, but in 2 seasons he is averaging 16.3 points, 8.2 assists, and 4 rebounds per game.
1. How is the recovery (knee) process going?
Wall: It’s cool. Same stuff I’ve been doing since I’ve been injured. Just taking my time and trying to get healthy.
2. I know you haven’t been able to play, but have you noticed a difference between this year and last with some of the new veteran additions to the team?
Wall: I just think with the coaching staff, and the pieces we added to the coaching staff. We added players that are going to contribute a lot. I think we are very deep team. We got a lot of veteran guys, and a lot of young guys that grew up and understand what it takes to win and lose in this game and how hard you got to compete every night. We’ve been competing the first two games we just got in a deep hole in the beginning but we’ve been giving ourselves a chance to win.
3. You and [rookie] Bradley Beal are clearly the future of this team. What do you think of how he played in the preseason and in the first two games?Wall: In preseason he played pretty good. So far, he started off good in Cleveland, but he’s been kind of struggling, but that’s a part of the game. Just keep his motivation and keep taking shots, just be more aggressive.
4. Have you set any individual goals for yourself when you do come back?
Wall: Yeah I keep them to myself though. I don’t like to tell my goals, I like to keep them to myself.
5. Do you have a target date to return?
Wall: No, no target at all. No.
Rich Keefe is the Celtics Reporter for 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston. You can follow him on twitter: @Keefe21