I talked with San Antonio starter DeJuan Blair prior to the Celtics-Spurs game on Wednesday night at the TD Garden. Here is what the Pittsburgh product who is averaging 9.6 points and 5.6 rebounds had to say.
1. Has what happened to you guys last year in the playoffs served as any kind of motivation this year?
Blair: Well people can say that I guess. We just want to play better and play harder this year.
2. You have a good mix of veterans and young guys like yourself, with the limited practice time, how have you been able to play so well and have one of the best records in the league [37-14]?
Blair: You know just being with each other everyday. Playing with each other and traveling with each other.
3. What is Coach [Gregg] Popovich like? What’s it like playing for him?
Blair: He’s great. It’s been a good three years that I’ve been here, and he’s a great coach.
4. Growing up was Kevin Garnett one of the guys you liked to watch?
Blair: No. I didn’t really watch NBA when I was younger.
5. Any idea why the Spurs aren’t talked about more? There is so much attention on the Heat and the Thunder and the Lakers, but you’re right up there and have one of the best team’s in the league?
Blair: I don’t know. Some people just don’t (chuckles) think that the Spurs is up there. And we’re ok with that.
Rich Keefe is the Celtics Reporter for 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston. You can follow him on twitter: @Keefe21