In perhaps the first move of the night that wasn’t announced first on Twitter, Andy Katz of ESPN reported the New Jersey Nets selected JaJuan Johnson with their 27th pick for the Boston Celtics, after the C’s dealt their own 25th pick (Marshon Brooks) for Johnson and Nets 2014 2nd Round selection. Ironically, Johnson was the very selection we at CelticsHub made in the TrueHoop Network Mock Draft earlier this week.
A few quick thoughts on the pick before we get to his Johnson’s scouting reports.
*Height: 6-10 Weight: 220 lbs
* Played 4 years at Purdue
* Age 22
* Twitter Account: Boilerballer25
On the surface, this appears to be the classic Ainge power forward pick. A guy, a la Glen Davis, Leon Powe, Luke Harangody, etc. who produced at a very high level at Purdue, but for a variety of reasons didn’t have the stock to be a lottery pick. Johnson can do a variety of things well including score, rebound, block shots, run the floor, you name it. He also provides Boston with a bit of security blanket at the power forward spot in case Glen Davis decides to skip town, which appears to be a more probable scenario with each word he says.
We should certainly temper expectations for the guy, but this is the mold of a late round pick that can help right away. He’s experienced, by all accounts he’s a hard worker, and he will at least push for minutes at the 3-4 spots with Jeff Green, Davis and company. Safe, strong pick for Ainge and company.
I am also live at Celtics draft headquarters here in Boston, and we will be getting full reaction from Ainge, Doc Rivers and JaJuan Johnson later this evening so stay tuned in here to CelticsHub all night.
The full scouting report from Chad Ford:
* Long, athletic big man
* Good shot-blocker
* Explosive leaper
* Quick, runs the floor well
* Nice mid range jumper
* Needs to add strength to his frame
* Still developing a low post game
* Basketball IQ seems to be an issue
Latest posts by Brian Robb (see all)
- Ainge: Marcus Smart (Ankle) Day-to-Day, Kelly Olynyk (Shoulder) Out Until At Least Mid-November - October 20, 2016
- Does R.J. Hunter Have Inside Track on Final Celtics Roster Spot? - October 17, 2016
- Danny Ainge: We’re Working to Avoid Cutting Players by Making a Trade - October 17, 2016