…to Paul Pierce’s basketball camp in Boston today. While in Boston, Rasheed Wallace put the kibosh on any rumors of him coming back to the NBA. When asked by A. Sherrod Blakley if his career was indeed “wrapped up” Wallace responded in his typical Sheed style, “like Christmas.”
And I believe him. If there was ever a good player that could come out of retirement to help a team win some games, Rasheed Wallace would just not be that player. I believe Wallace will LOVE retirement. Paul Pierce may not be so enamored with the idea of Wallace hanging them up for good. Blakely again quotes Pierce (h/t CelticsBlog.com): “I told him, ‘Go ahead, do all you need to do,’ ” Pierce said. ” ‘Take the kids everywhere. We’ll see you in February.’ ” Pierce says these types of things all the time. I wouldn’t hold much stock in anything until you see the pen on the dotted line. Still, if a roster spot became available and the Celtics had a defensive-minded wing all sewn up, I would be all for this move. Adding Wallace for the same amount of games he actually played hard in last season is a low risk, high reward move.
You should check out the rest of Blakley’s Twitter feed. It has some cool quotes from Paul Pierce including these gems:
- On his short-lived free agency: “Everybody knew I was coming back. I didn’t need a special.” I love that little dig at LeBron James.
- On whether he’s watch the Game 7 collaspe: “I see it everyday in my dreams. There’s no need to put on the tape.” Obviously, I don’t blame Pierce for not wanting to relive Game 7. What I don’t want is for the Celtics to pretend like it didn’t happen.
Other Celtics/NBA Related News
- It appears Paul Pierce wanted Shaquille O’Neal to come to Boston. Per Lenny Megliola of the Boston Herald, “I pushed (for it),” Pierce said of the Celtics’ big-time offseason acquisition. “I talked to Danny about it. (Danny’s) done a good job staying competitive, adding the pieces.” This could just be Pierce extending a warm welcome to his new teammate because I highly doubt Shaq was on Pierce’s offseason wish list- at the very least Shaq wasn’t at the top. I would venture to guess most of the Celtics were more stoked about the Jermaine O’Neal signing than the Shaquille O’Neal addition.
- Carmelo Anthony might be taking the anti-LeBron approach to Free Agency and, ya know, actually informing the team of his desires like a man instead of taking his talents to a TeeVee screen near you. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com (h/t Matt Moore of CBSSports and TrueHoop fame alike) first let us know that ‘Melo was vying for New York earlier in the week. This is, of course, all speculative. But hey, the exciting part of the offseason is over and news is tight. In the spirit of being a Second Life GM, here’s a link to the ESPN TradeMachine. Give me your best shot at the Celtics acquiring Carmelo Anthony and I will be sure to respond with the necessary “Fail.” Still fun nonetheless.
Latest posts by Brendan Jackson (see all)
- Should the Celtics Trade for Blake Griffin or Russell Westbrook? - July 12, 2016
- Celtics Summer League Utah Takeaways: Players Going to Play - July 8, 2016
- BiyombNO! Bismack playing his way into big money… - May 24, 2016