Just returned from the Celtics practice facility in Waltham and am happy to report a very successful and entertaining afternoon. I will be doing a much more detailed post full with pictures and some audio clips of the day’s festivities tomorrow. For now, however I will give some quick hit thoughts of the proceedings.
Walked into the gym at around 2pm, filled with a who’s who of local Boston sports media. Several photo sets were spread around different areas of the floor as the players were ushered around from all of these spots by to pose for various photo shoots for the team and other local media outlets.
Players were staggered very well making their appearances on the floor, starting out with the young guys first (Giddens, Bill Walker, Hudson) before the rotation players made their appearances.
I was pleasantly surprised at how conversational many of the Celtics players were, especially the bench guys. I was able to spend one on one time interviewing a vast array of players outside of The Big Three including:
- Bill Walker—who felt much more relaxed coming into his 2nd season with the team. All he really wanted to talk about was how much he worked on his defense during this offseason. It’s clear he had a talk with Doc about how to get on the floor regularly this season.
- Eddie House —on the new look bench and how it will affect his play
- Kendrick Perkins—on his improved offensive game
- Danny Ainge — Mentioned still a strong possibility that the team will bringing in another guard to camp….although he emphasized he was satisfied with the team that was in place
- Tommy Heinsohn —On the team’s new additions, Rondo’s potential and the new look of other contenders around the league.
- Glen Davis —On how his contract situation played out “Everything happens for a reason.” Didn’t seem thrilled the way the chips fell but ready to accept it and do his best to help the team.
Check back with Celtics Hub later tonight and tomorrow for a full transcript and even some audio of these exclusive interviews. More to come in the next couple hours so stay tuned to Celtics Hub for updates.
Latest posts by Brian Robb (see all)
- Celtics’ Biggest Challenge Down the Stretch Will Be Overcoming Their Inconsistency - March 24, 2017
- What Team Would Be the Best First Round Matchup for Celtics? - March 17, 2017
- What’s Next for Celtics After Quiet Trade Deadline? - February 24, 2017