I could do without some of the mean-faced histrionics after the shot, but you can’t blame the young fella for getting a bit carried away. What a game, what a series of shots from Davis down the stretch.
Someone (Bryan Roy, I think) will have a complete analysis coming soon. In the meantime, some bullets:
- When Rondo had a chance at the steal and breakaway with the C’s up 91-88 and couldn’t quite corral the ball, and the ball bounced over to Courtney Lee, who then made an easy J–well, I thought maybe Orlando was going to pull this one out.
- Obviously, the free throw shooting was bad tonight. Very frustrating to watch, though Orlando wasn’t much better from the line.
- This is the kind of game that shows you shooting percentages aren’t everything when some ancillary things don’t go your way. The C’s outshot Orlando 52 percent to 40 percent, but were minus-5 in turnovers, allowed 12 offensive boards and made just one three-pointer. It is really hard to win an NBA game in 2009 when you make just one three-pointer. Thank the leprechauns Orlando made just 5-of-27 from deep.
- Perk continues to play fantastic man defense on Howard in the post.
- I am still waiting for an explanation on Pierce’s fifth foul.
- Could Rondo average 10 rebounds a game if he set that as a goal? Some monster boards on both ends tonight for Rajon.
- Fantastic defense from Lee all game on House. The Magic have a keeper there.
- As a harsh critic of Mikki Moore’s, I feel obliged to give him credit tonight. Other than one terrible decision (the over-helping off of Lewis, allowing the easy corner three), Mikki avoided disaster over seven big minutes when Doc had no other option.
- I really like when Doc Rivers gets excited.